Sunday, July 13, 2008

Rocky Point

We had so much fun at Lake Compounce, I have to say that I really love the old fashioned feel that the park has. Don't get me wrong, it has all of the modern rides, attractions and amenities of a huge theme park, but on a smaller scale.
It reminds me of the amusement parks that were around when I was a kid.

I have been reflecting on my childhood memories of family outings and naturally, Rocky Point Park was the first thing to pop into my head.
I spent multiple times each summer as a child and teenager, traveling with friends, with family and on summer camp trips to Warwick, RI.
We would arrive before the park opened and would leave when the park closed and loved every minute of it.
Getting to the park seemed to take forever as a child, but we knew we were close when we saw the little lobster signs that would point us in the direction of the park.
Driving under the huge Rocky Point sign with the crocked red and blue letters was when we knew that we were almost there, anticipation would grow as we saw the skyliner to the left, above the trees, and soon, the salt water pool (that I never got to swim in) was over to the right of the park as we got closer to the parking area.
I remember that you could look out over rocks to the ocean and have a little picnic at the car
before going into the park. I also remember that there were rats in the rocks, probably because it was such an inviting area to eat and the rats had a lot of leftovers to choose from, but as a kid I found it pretty cool to see them ducking into the rocks near the ocean water below us.

Once we hastily forced down our sandwiches, we would finally make our way to the ticket booth and get our bracelets and run for whatever ride called to us first, usually the Rok-n-Rol and Yo-Yo because they were right there when we came in through Gate 2. After we got warmed up with some easy rides, we were ready for the thrill rides, my favorites were the Musik Express,
Cyclone, Corkscrew Loop Roller coaster and the Free Fall.
We would make our way around the park and check in with the adults at set times during the day, it was just a little bit of independence, but we reveled in it.
We would play games to win a stuffed animal or a goldfish, even though it was a hindrance to tote around, we wanted the biggest prize to bring home.

For dinner, we would meet up with the adults and make a stop for clam cakes and chowdah at the Shore Dinner hall. This place was massive with its never ending tables that seemed to fit 200 people at one, and there were hundreds of them there.....at least it seemed like there was. There was food and pitchers of soda and watermelon to end the meal, then back out to the park.

We would ride the Skyline, House of Horror, Ferris Wheel and Bumper cars after dinner because no one wants to be the one to hurl on a fast ride. By the time we went through the slower rides, we were well digested to get one last ride on the Cyclone and end the day getting soaked on the Flume.

When I was older, the Sunday visits turned into Saturday afternoon and evening jaunts with friends. The park had a different energy at night, most of the families with little kids were gone and there was loud music, flirting with boys and a concert series all summer....all fun things for a group of teenage girls!

There is an awesome documentary that I have seen a couple of times on PBS about Rocky Point called "You Must Be This Tall the story of Rocky Point Park", I found it so interesting, nostalgic and quite heartbreaking at the end when you see footage of the abandoned Rocky Point . If you have ever been or you are like me and it was an imprint on your childhood and adolescence, please check it out.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Oh I remember those clamcakes!