Thursday, January 8, 2009

tidy up....








quick tips:

  • Do a Daily 5-Minute Cleanup. Check hot spots throughout the house where stuff tends to pile up, and make a quick sweep.

  • Open mail over the recycling bin, and conduct all of your bill-paying online.

  • Eliminate unused items in the kitchen. Go through cabinets and drawers, and collect never-used small appliances and utensils for donation.

  • Keep clutter off counter tops.

  • Go through newspapers and magazines once a week. If you haven't looked at something in two weeks, recycle it.

  • Arrange wardrobe by type. Sort clothes into categories (tops, pants, etc.) and then colors.

  • Clear closets yearly. Donate clothes you don't wear.

  • Fold sheet sets inside one of the pillowcases, and store in the linen closet as a unit.

  • Don't over stuff drawers. Never let a drawer get more than 3/4 full or it will become a jammed mess.

  • Make a list before you shop. Take stock of what you need in order to get things under control--more skirt hangers? another under-bed storage box?--and figure out where everything will go.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I looked at these pictures and I was amazed at your house. Then I realized that its not your house. Not that I don't think your house looks this neat but I don't remember you have color-coordinated toys!

Great tips!

Melissa Belmonte said...

I wish we could all have yard sales now, when we're all the mood for getting rid of stuff! I love the clear countertops idea. My parents have very little clutter in their house, and it makes such a difference.

We recently spent a few days w/ friends at their tiny apartment in Brooklyn. Because they have such little space, they are forced to not have too much stuff. And they are super picky about what toys they keep. I LOVED it. IT felt so clear and manageable and peaceful and simple. So now Chris and I are on a total get-rid-of-stuff kick.

Shannon said...

There is one annoying spot on my counter that collects everything!

Reanna said...

I wish I had that laundry room!!!