Monday, November 3, 2008

making amends

The dilemma today was the sad looking, spotty, mushy bananas sitting on my counter, asking.....no begging me to make them into banana bread.
As they were left uneaten by my family, the soft, dark, mush overtook the firmness of the once beautiful yellow bananas.....sadly, leaving them unappetizing for us.
Insecurities and inadequacies got the best of the bananas.
Pleading for me to mash them up and bake them into a moist, delicious treat for my mouth and belly........mmmm, so tasty.
Yes, tasty, when someone other than myself, makes it!

My dilemma is that I lack a lot in the baking department......actually, I kind of suck, if I am to be honest with you.

But, looking at those poor bananas, thrusted forward the realization that it was either banana bread or the grim reality of the compost bin. I had to make the effort to bake from scratch and do it well......for the uneaten bananas.

So, coming to terms with my lack of baking verve, I gave in and went for it.
To my surprise, it didn't hurt a bit.....luckily, for the bananas and my family!



Banana Bread recipe:

  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 large, ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions

preheat 350
grease and flour 2 8x4 loaf pans
whisk flour, baking soda, salt and sugar
mix in the eggs and bananas (do not over mix)
stir in butter
pour in pans
bake 350 for 45-55 minutes


I surprised myself....
So with this being a food post, I wanted to share what I made for dinner....lemon, garlic and pepper pork roast with cut up garlic roasted potatoes (drizzled with olive oil) and steamed broccoli.....mmmmmmmm.

7 comments:

Shannon said...

Everything looks delicious. See baking is fun and yummy!

Reanna said...

I know Shannon....its just so much of a chore for me...it comes easy for you! But I do enjoy the results!

remiroll said...

you make my head spin...........

Tracey said...

To make your baking even easier...instead of worrying about all the ingredients(flour, sugar, baking soda, etc) next time buy Jiffy mix! There is always a banana bread recipe on the box. Also, add bananas to Jiffy muffin mix! Or add bananas to Jiffy pancakes or waffles! Constance is the Queen of Jiffy mix and passed it along to me and Bil. Screw Bisquick! Jiffy is wicked cheap and you always have it on hand if you want breakfast, want to bake or make bisquits. Bil makes great cheddar cheese bisquits with it. Remiroll's head is really spinning now!!!!!

Reanna said...

great tip Tray...thanks!

I quite enjoy a little headspinning every now and then.....:)

remiroll said...

I thought Jiffy was that marshmellow crap kids put on sandwiches!!!

Tracey said...

That's Fluff....fluff-o-nutter! LMAO!