Sunday, November 23, 2008

lightbulb moment


I have figured out why I am not totally in love with the baking process.

Baking is a very precise and accurate skill, measurements and time are most important to ending the procedure with a successful final product.....and I am definitely a season and taste kind of girl.

When I cook, I like to throw in a little of this and little of that, taste, determine what may or may not be needed, and go from there.....I always tweak my recipes to suit my style and taste.....always.

Come to think of it, this is the way I approach all of my creative mediums, even hair.....I have a foundation that I start with and build as I go.

It is quite fulfilling to me.

Unfortunately, this style is not really conducive to baking, so I have never felt completely confident, and I really appreciate those who excel with baking skills.

I stress out trying to sift and pack the dry ingredients while keeping my liquids precise in my measuring cups. Double checking at eye level is painful when I have to remove a little excess because I poured at the wrong angle. I have to be so careful not to confuse the the baking powder with the baking soda or the different types of sugars.....it gets rough for me.

Yesterday, I conquered some more baking territory and made these really yummy king sized cupcakes for Avery's, post-early Thanksgiving dinner-family-birthday-mini-celebration (long story).
OK, so I used boxed mixes, but I still had to count eggs and measure liquids, my demise.....but I prevailed.

The cupcakes are so big and I made 4 different flavors....pink vanilla, rich chocolate fudge, lemon and apple cake with sautéed apples, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
Something for everyone, as we have specific requirements in our family!

My favorite part was decorating and adding my thing with the apple topping.....so there was a little bit of me in them!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I think this is why I do like baking. I'm better at exact directions.

Is that the picture of the cupcakes you made? They look wonderful!

Reanna said...

thanks!

Melissa Belmonte said...

I think the reason I'll never really be good at baking, even though I do it, is that I'll never have the patience for all that exact measuring. I just keep adding until it comes out okay. The cupcakes look great, and the apple ones are my favorite!

remiroll said...

fuck the cupcakes (although they look great) and screw the chicken lasagna (yummy too) I need tinkerbell pictures!!!