Monday, September 8, 2008

first day


Today was Avery's first day of preschool. She is part of an afternoon session, so all morning she waited anxiously, asking me when we could leave for school and requesting a super early lunch because she knew that we would leave after lunch....smart kid.
So, after lunch, Avery, dressed in her school clothes, name tag pinned into her shirt, pulled her backpack over her shoulders and headed out the door super excited for school......when did my baby grow into this independent little girl??

I took pictures at home, in the yard, in the car and at school.....I wasn't alone, as all of the parents at school had cameras in hand to capture the moment.
As we were waiting for the OK to bring the kids to their classrooms, there was a lot of excitement, I could see that Avery was taking it all in and I know that she was a little nervous but she was ready. A little boy was crying and I wondered if it would make her apprehensive, but she just looked at me and told me that he missed his mom, but that she would be back to pick him up, so he will be happy soon. I agreed with her, I think that she was reassuring herself.

When it was time, she headed straight for her locker and we put her things away, then we met her teacher at the door, said goodbye with a kiss, her teacher took her hand and off she went into the classroom without even a glance back at me!
I guess it surprised me how well she made the transition, she is not my baby anymore. It took me a second, then it was OK......
Emmy, on the hand was very sad to leave her sister and cried all the way out to the car....she got over it when she realized that she had Mommy all to herself!







And, although it is a little late, I have pictures from DJ's first day of 8th grade....he wasn't quite thrilled to partake in a photo session at 7 am....but he was a good sport! There is a picture of his lunchbox that he chose, which is full with his lunch and drinks....he is a big, growing guy!!


3 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh sniff..sniff! She is growing up! It must have made it so much easier that way! It would have been so hard if she was crying like that little boy. I love her first day outfit!

DJ looks like he's going on a trip with that big backpack! He looks handsome!

Reanna said...

I felt so bad for the boy, he was coming out of a morning class, so I bet he cried the whole time he was there :(
Avery actually made it easy for ME and it was nice to have a few hours with Emmy.

I made the skirts and matching bows for the girls!

Tracey said...

Phew huh?! I had a feeling you made their matching outfits, very cute. You are quite the seamstress! I can't believe how grown up DJ is. Love the lunchbox!