Monday, June 9, 2008

No soup for you!

So, Melissa had a post about making a creamy asparagus soup with freshly baked rolls (all from scratch) and I was intrigued by it....enough to contemplate trying it out for myself.


Melissa's soup....



OK, so I fell a bit short on time and improvised with the ingredients to come up with a pretty yummy side dish to go along with our dinner of turkey meatloaf and fresh rolls (not from scratch....from Pillsbury).

My version, roasted asparagus and red bliss potatoes:
  • 1 pound small red potatoes cut into small chunks
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • half tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 half red onion chopped
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper

  • Preheat oven to 450°F.
  • Place large skillet over med heat
  • Drizzle olive oil onto hot skillet and add potatoes and onions
  • After a few minutes, add in the asparagus
  • Cook until potatoes start to brown up
  • Spread vegetables in baking pan and roast in preheated oven
  • 15 minutes or until crisp-tender and golden
  • When done, drizzle vegetables with vinegar and toss lightly
  • Sprinkle vegetables with salt and pepper
  • EAT!

I made this last week when it wasn't so wonderfully hot out....there is no way I would be cooking in this heat!

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Hmmmm....even this sounds good to me. I may have to try this one.

Shannon said...

BTW - do Chris and the kids eat this?

Reanna said...

Chris and Emmy (and me) liked it, the other 2 wouldn't try it...that could be another post!

We had a little left over for lunch the next day... it was yummy!

Melissa Belmonte said...

You are one of those people that can just improvise recipes like this?! I am impressed. IT looks yummy. I will try it soon. My friend was also saying it's yummy to cook some garlic in a pan in olive oil and add the asparagus and stir fry it and it's really good.

I'm honored that my soup made it to your blog!

Tracey said...

When I was reading your recipe I immediately thought of fresh pressed garlic. Sounds yum-o. I can totally picture DJ refusing to eat asparagus! ha!

Reanna said...

Tracey,
I love garlic....I would have thrown some in, but I was out of it!

Melissa,
I kind of improvise everything I do, I am not a technical thinker/doer....I am too emotional for that!
That is also why I really suck at baking (and math), because it is so precise and I am a "taste, season, taste and season" kind of (cooking) girl.
I still want to attempt the soup :)