Friday, June 20, 2008

burned


I love the look of a sun kissed, golden tan....its an easy way to feel 10 pounds thinner, legs seem leaner with a bronze tone going on and everyone looks cute with a little color.

I have to admit (sheepishly) that there was a time when I was that girl who tanned as a hobby and I was good at it.
In the beginning stages of the tan process, I would take it slow, to avoid a sunburn and allow the tan to build into a deep shade of brown....once brown, the SPF 4 was replaced with baby oil to keep things cooking. Effective, yet so barbaric.

For me, there was no discrimination between the sun and tanning beds, I was an equal opportunity girl trying to achieve a deep tan by all means available.
I am completely aware of the dangers of unprotected exposure to the sun and tanning apparatuses, so I do things much differently now......I will not allow myself to look like Magda (There's something about Mary).
I am happy to report that I no longer worship the sun by laying out, drenched in baby oil during the prime hours of 10 am to 2 pm.....no, those days are long past.
I realize how stupid I was, thankfully I have had no adverse effects manifest as a result of my ignorance......I am very lucky.

These days I use lotion with SPF 30 on my face at all times, regardless of if I am inside or out.....I use SPF 50 when I am planning to be in the sun. I use lotion with SPF 15 all over as a body moisturizer, use a self tanner for color on my body and bronzer powder on my face. Basically, I want to be tan without actually being tanned.
Fortunately, I have been able to elude the Oompa-Loompa look, the gripe that I have with self tanners is the smell, its a recognizable and pungent odor that lingers. If I can smell it on myself......I know I reek!
I have tried a lot of sunless tanning products and in my search of a stench-less self tanner, all have some sort of scent. Finally, I found Famous Dave's Moisture Tan......my fave!
It doesn't have any scent at all, it goes on easily, absorbs and dries quickly, it leaves my skin so soft and the tan is so natural. It does what it claims and if you don't agree, the company will refund your money.
So, bring on the cute sundresses and shorts, be tan with healthy, happy skin and without smelling like the inside of a sunless tanner bottle!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh I remember the days of laying out in the sun between 10-2! I thought you still did the tanning bed though - no?

Reanna said...

no I stopped the bed too....