Sunday, June 22, 2008

a chance meeting


Browsing the aisles of the local grocery store (sans the small ones) this past Saturday evening, a very nice, older looking woman approached me to compliment the tattoo that I have on my arm. I graciously accepted her compliment, thanked her and started to move on with my shopping as she continued to talk to me. She was explaining to me that butterflies have great significance to her and she saw that my tattoo has 5 butterflies, this is when I stopped to listen to her, in the middle of the juice aisle.

She was telling me that when she prays for something important, she asks God for butterflies.

I learned that her husband is on a donor recipient list for a liver and that when they were leaving the hospital recently, she asked God for a sign that he would receive a liver and be well.....when they stopped at a stop sign, a monarch butterfly flew past her windshield.
Positively, she assured me that her husband was going to be fine, she just knew it.

I smiled at her, as her she walked forward and I realized that I wanted to know a little more....I am not one to initiate conversations with strangers, but I was drawn to this woman and her spirit.
So, I made my way to where she was and I asked her if her husband did get the liver, she told me not yet, but he will, God showed her.

She went on to tell me that she prayed about her husband when she was dating him, asking for guidance in knowing whether he was the one for her to share her life with. Butterflies were brought to her and she knew that "Al" was her soul mate. She was beaming as she was telling me this.

This is when I kind of had the wind knocked from me.....
because my Dad's name is Al and I was inspired to get the angel in the tattoo that she was so focused on, in remembrance of my Dad....who I feel is always with me.

I know that we were meant to cross paths and gift each other with something very significant to our life and faith.
Things like this happen to me periodically (I'll have to write a post on some of the weird things that I have experienced) and I always find so much comfort knowing that I have an angel with me.

I hope that the woman got as much out of the chance meeting as I did.....somehow, I feel that she did!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

What a neat story. Thanks for sharing it.

Melissa Belmonte said...

Wow. I love hearing about things like this. How touching.

Mom said...

Beautiful! Happenstance? I don't think so.

Alan