Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The boy

I had to pick up DJ early from school because he wasn't feeling well.
When I got there, I was met by one of his teachers and his guidance counselor, both of whom DJ really connects with.
They gave me the updates and assured me that DJ is doing great and working hard.....wonderful news.
Then I was told that DJ would like to do a presentation with his favorite teacher about Aspergers and let the kids learn what it is from his perspective by answering questions after the presentation.
I was blown away because I didn't expect this from him, he never let on that he was thinking about this at all.

It is a huge step for DJ because most of the time he doesn't have any interest in what the other kids are doing, never mind letting them into his world.
Its not that he doesn't like kids his age, he just doesn't connect with them.
I'm fairly certain that this will become a focus for him, along with RVs, Gatra buses and Judaism (which he wants to convert to)....all of which I have learned in great detail about, although I was not necessarily inclined to do so. :)

Needless to say, I am super-duper proud of him for initiating this idea and can't wait to see the presentation come to life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is great for DJ. What a big step!