Wednesday, April 2, 2008

books, stickers and lollipops


The little girls had a routine check up today at the pediatrician's office.
I am finally at the point where I am able to combine the appointments, it makes for less trips and the girls seem to enjoy it together. I was a little apprehensive of Emmy because, as we all know, she freaks over things like this. Her usual routine is to cry upon entering the exam room, cry harder when Nurse Cheryl comes in to check her out and freaks out completely when Dr. Latif examines her......shots are their own entity, we just go with it and deal with the screaming toddler. Its not easy to communicate in this environment.....but they are so patient and understanding, I really love our group!
Chris was able to join us and I tried my best to prepare him for the worst.....believe me, I have seen this situation get really ugly, so I wanted to warn him.
When we got to our appointment, Emmy was already whimpering in the waiting room.....so I braced myself for a rough ride. We went in and Avery got on the big girl scale to get weighed and measured, she took her eye test and peed in a cup, all of the big girl things.....Emmy paid close attention as we made a big deal out of all of this.
So, now it was Emmy's turn to start the check up, Nurse Cheryl asked her to go stand on the scale like Avery......guess what she did?.....she went willingly and stood proudly on the scale as we of course made a huge deal of this accomplishment! She went through the rest of the appointment following Avery's example and did awesome!
Emmy didn't cry when Dr. Latif came in and examined the girls, I was actually able to have a conversation with her, unlike our usual loud, rushed appointments of the past.
Everything went smoothly until it was time for shots, Avery had to get 4 boosters as well as her lead test and Emmy had to get her lead test......so I was a little nervous for how Avery would react to having 5 needles stuck into her. She was unbelievable, kind of winced but not one tear or complaint from her.....I was so proud of her!
Emmy did cry, but I totally expected her to, she did so well regardless.
They both were troopers.....they left with new books, stickers and lollipops!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh going to the Dr.is always such a project. Glad they did ok though! And glad Chris could go. I read the title quick and I thought it said boobs, stickers and lollipops and I couldn't figure out what boobs had to do with anything!