Thursday, December 4, 2008

not budging

We believe in Santa Clause at our house.
He will be making a visit to our house on December 24th to grab a few cookies, hang the stockings and leave each of the 3 kids, one special gift.

For weeks, Avery has been telling everyone that she would like a Disney Talking Nursery for Christmas.
If you are not familiar with this, its a rather large, overpriced item that has mixed reviews from parents who have purchased it.
I have been putting off purchasing this, hoping that she would lose interest and pointing out other alternatives, my efforts have not been effective.

Avery is in love with this toy.

She told me that she wants to write Santa a letter to make sure that he knows that it is at Toys R Us, gotta love those marketing geniuses that fit that into the ad, and to not let the elves make one.....ugh!
I have resigned to the fact that she is not budging, this is THE toy....the toy that will make her Christmas complete in her little 5 year old eyes. Now, I am trying to find the damn thing, because apparently, its a hot gift and not be found anywhere online!
It is out of stock.
I did a google search and found 2 sites that had them for 3 times the retail price.....no way!!!
I am on a wait list to be notified when it is in stock and I am going to check out the actual stores tonight after work.....hoping for the best and pissed that I waited so long.

I have great appreciation for those who paved the way for us....and they didn't even have Internet access in the 80's!




I can only imagine the exhaustion and shear determination it took for my parents to score me my beloved cabbage patch kid, Aldus Barlow. Always an offbeat kid, I begged for a bald, boy Cabbage Patch Kid....get harder to find.....but he was there waiting for me on Christmas morning in 1983.

Santa got all of the glory, but I know now that my parents stalked Kids Town and Child World until they made my Christmas magical.

How can I not give Avery the same magic and memories.....?

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Good luck! I'll be on the lookout for you too. I remember my Cabbage patch doll - Eve Molly!

Tracey said...

oh my freakin god.....Kids Town and Child World!!! What a blast from the best. Thanks for the memories! Good luck on your search :)

Reanna said...

Thanks Shannon for looking out for me!! Luckily, I managed to get the thing.....phew....the "cabbage patch kid" and "tickle me elmo" crazes had me in a panic!
'tis the saeson!!

Melissa Belmonte said...

I vividly remember opening a cabbage patch doll for Christmas. I told my mom, "It's a cabbage patch kid!" as if she didn't know. when I found out there was no Santa, one of my first realizations was that she KNEW it was a cabbage patch!